How We Help   |   Foreclosure Rescue Scams – Facts & Reporting

How We Help

The Hawaii HomeOwnership Center provides FREE foreclosure prevention counseling for owner-occupants. This service is provided statewide through our offices on Oahu.

Our program:

Our goal is to:

  1. Ensure you are aware of all your options to resolve your mortgage situation (avoid foreclosure),

  2. Create an action plan detailing your/the counselor’s role in resolving the situation,

  3. Assist in communicating with your loan servicer as needed (homeowners may still be included in communication/follow up with the servicer), and

  4. Be available through the process until your situation is resolved.

Note: The final decision regarding the outcome of a request for a modification, forbearance, etc. is made by the servicer.

How to get started:

  1. Complete an intake packet (download available below)

  2. You will be contacted to schedule an appointment 10 business days after we receive a complete packet.

    Click here to download our intake packet

    Mortgage Foreclosure Dispute Resolution Program

    The Mortgage Foreclosure Dispute Resolution (MFDR) program provides an opportunity for owner-occupants of residential property in non-judicial foreclosure to meet face-to-face with their lenders to modify their loans or to work out a payment plan within three months. The program is established and administered by the Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs – Office of Administrative Hearings (DCCA-OAH) with assistance from the Judiciary.

    Click here to visit website

    Frequently asked questions

    1. What if I need help with an investment property or second mortgage?

    Our priority is to provide services for owner-occupied properties. If a loan modification is possible, we will submit a package to address the second mortgage if applicable.

    2. I have a lot of debt – can you help me?

    If you have more than $10,000 in unsecured debt or struggling to pay that unsecured debt in addition to your mortgage, you should contact Consumer Credit Counseling Services of Hawaii.

    3. I am considering bankruptcy to address my mortgage challenges – can you help me?

    You should contact Consumer Credit Counseling Services of Hawaii.

    4. I am in a distressed financial situation due to a foreclosure rescue scam or dishonest lending practices – can you help me?

    If you are intending to pursue legal action regarding your situation, you should contact Legal Aid Society of Hawaii.  If you are only looking for assistance to work with your lender and understand your options to avoid foreclosure, we can assist you after receiving an intake packet.  We would still recommend reporting the scam through

    5. I am working with a counseling agency and am calling you to see if you can provide more assistance.

    If you paid a company to help you and you are not being serviced, we can review your situation after you submit an intake packet. However, if you are intending to seek legal action against the company you paid, contact the Legal Aid Society. If you are working with an agency and receiving service, we recommend that you continue to work with that organization – you will have to start the process from the beginning if you decide to work with us instead, taking more time for us to input your information and become familiar with your situation.

    6. I have received a foreclosure notice – can you help me?

    If the foreclosure date is more than 2 weeks away, it is critical for you to submit an intake packet immediately.  If the foreclosure date is less than 2 weeks away, we will not have enough time to assist you. If bankruptcy may be an option you might explore to temporarily address your mortgage situation, contact Consumer Credit Counseling Services.

    | return to top |


    © Hawaii HomeOwnership Center